Tips on Leadership
By Joshua Bienstock
Last week I wrote a post about how to be a positive role model. Setting a positive example is important as a board member, but there’s more you can do to be a good leader.
- Validate everyone. Watch this video! It sheds light on the power of validation in our society and its true importance.When you are working with or even just talking to a USYer. staff member, etc., be sure to validate their thoughts, opinions, and actions. Trust me, it does wonders.
- Ask for help. It seems so simple but sometimes it can be hard to take that initial step. There are so many people around you who want to see you succeed because when you succeed, USY is just that much better.Create a constructive and positive relationship with your president, youth director, other board members, and international counterparts (me and the IGB!!). All of us would love to help!
- Set Goals. Some leaders argue that it is important to regularly review and pursue your original goals throughout your term.While this works sometimes, it is better to set goals knowing that they will grow and change with each new experience that you have and lesson that you learn.
- Stay on top of your stuff. It can get overwhelming to be a USY leader, trust me, I know. What has always helped me keep track of things is to write it down.Your president wants a meeting with you? I need you to fill out a form? Whatever it is, if you write it down somewhere where you will see it, it will be easier to remember. It can be overwhelming to deal with all you have to do, but as long as you stay on top of things as they come, you’ll be fine.
- Always be there. As a USY leader, it is your obligation to always check your Facebook messages, emails, texts, etc., as often as you can.People rely on you for help and you do not want to let them down. I personally am a huge believer in this and think that this not only helps the other person, but is also very rewarding for you as well.
Joshua Bienstock is the 2017 International USY Israel Affairs Vice President