I am Cara Kupferman, and I hail from Orangetown Jewish Center USY in the Metropolitan New York (METNY) Region.
Our shared Jewish heritage is the common thread that unites all of USY. It supports our relationships, our passions, and our vision as individuals and as an organization. This year, I will help empower every USYer to embrace their Judaism. I will break down the barriers that have kept USYers and potential members out by inspiring every USYer to feel comfortable in our Jewish settings. Along with the regional Rel/Eds and the Rel/Ed IGB, I will introduce initiatives that will impart confidence in your knowledge and inspire you to become a leader in Judaism.
This is the year in which you will connect to Judaism in your own way. It is the time to include all USYers, and I am so honored to be the one to help realize this vision as your 2016 Religion/Education Vice President.
2016 USY Religion/Education Vice President
If you are a Rel/Ed VP, you may find the following resources helpful:
- Rel/Ed Officers Packet
- Tefillah script for weekday Services (page numbers, instructions for sitting and standing), Courtesy of Pinwheel USY
- S’fatai Tiftach: Guide to Religious Services
- Torah Teasers– Creative Ways to teach the weekly Torah portion. Use this as an alternative to Mincha or as an activity to introduce the Torah reading!
- By popular demand, it’s The Natv-a-Tish Song Book! Don’t know a lot of these songs? Go on Nativ and come back as staff so that you can teach them! You can also learn some of them by searching for them here.
- Hug Me! I led… – These can be printed on Avery 5160 (30 per page) labels and are a fun way to acknowledge someone who has participated in leading Tefillot.
- That Thing Called Judaism– a Guidebook for handling the challenges we face living Jewishly in a non-Jewish world
- Want to check the trope and words for your upcoming Torah reading? Download Pocket Torah, the app for Torah Layning!
- List of Websites for learning your Torah Reading– compiled by Nomi Small, 2012 Rel/Ed IGB.
- Tools for Regional Rel/ed VPs such as a service outlines, a suggested app for learning your Torah reading and Guide for Gabba’im, can be found on the “Jewish Rituals and Holidays How To” Page on the left side-bar.
- Do you find yourself lost during Tefillot and wish you had a better handle on some of the traditional tunes? Here’s one quick resource, helpful to both rel/ed VPs and every USYer. Learn how to daven online with SiddurAudio! Siddur Audio provides MP3 files of traditional Nusach.
- The Heschel Honor Society page: click on the link to the right recertify your membership or join the club!
- A number of “creative” Tefillah outlines
- A fantastic D’var Torah bank
- A Guide for Gabba’im – learn the choreography of the Torah Service with this guide.
- Explanations of various Tefillot